In my recent post about my green and grey light box project, I got to the point of having the panels spot-soldered soldered together and in a basic 3D form. This post, I’m going to talk about my use of reinforcing wire in my projects, as that’s the next step for my light box project.
Using reinforcement is something that I’ve started doing in my work partly from functional necessity and partly for aesthetics, although really the aesthetic aspect also adds function regardless. The first lamp I added reinforcements to was the hanging lamp I designed and built for my mom. I wanted some additional structure on the inside so that all the long strips would stay together and not pull apart (that’s a lot of straight lines). I also wanted to add a wire reinforcement at the top and bottom edges to keep it in a circular shape. There are four “circles” of support wire in this lamp: two at the top and bottom edges, and two that snake along (approximately) the top and bottom of the coloured squares, soldered to the inside of the lamp.
The second lamp I used reinforcements in was the table lamp I built for my sweetheart. I needed to add a support that allowed me to add bulk and structure to the edges of the squares, as they didn’t fit perfectly together and I wasn’t keen on overlapping the edges very much — I wanted the corners to meet somewhat evenly. I used reinforcing wire along the corner edges, sunken into the finish solder. I also wanted to add some bulk to the finished edge at the top, instead of having a really flat, sharp edge. So I used wire here too (wire everywhere!) to provide something to which I could adhere more solder and create a built up edge bead.
Since then, I’ve seen a few projects that have come back to me squished or broken, and have started incorporating wire into my smaller sun catchers (I’ve put support wire into these projects here and here). They feel sturdier, and at least I know that someone really had to try hard to squish it if they return a project to me for repairs later!!
So that’s what’s up next. I’m going to use a similar approach as the one I described for the table lamp above, but probably with a few extra pieces and some thinking about how to use longer pieces and bend them. I’ll share an update and photos this weekend!