Light Box Soldering Part II

I’m picking up where I left off from my last post about this lightbox.  If you missed that post, you can read it here.

So I’m pretty happy with the way this wire has been integrated into the edges of this lamp box.  The wire was easy to form around the edges and corners, and helped me fill in some pretty big gaps.  I just basically continued from where I left off, bending the wire to wrap around the top edge and then back down the side, and spot soldering as I went along.

Once I had all four wires soldered into place, I was left with four stubby ends sticking out the bottom edge.  I’m going to leave them for now, until I add another piece of wire to the bottom edge, or figure out what my lamp base is going to be and how I’m going to attach everything.

Wire sticking out the bottom edge

I was reading some interesting techniques on the website of I.Tashiro, an incredible stained glass artist from Japan.  (You really should check out more of his work and techniques on his website — so informational and so beautiful!)  I’m not sure how this light box will be finished, but I might just build a wooden box for it to sit in and try out the brass sheet base technique on another project later…

Moving on from there, I went back to add some finish solder along the edges and along the inside corners.  Filling in the inside corners added some backing to the outside finished edges, so that the solder didn’t just drip through.

Soldering the inside edge

Everything worked out fairly well — I really only had trouble in two areas: the first was on the panel that I left the old copper foil on.  I had one joint where the solder just would not adhere to the copper foil, so there is a small gap between the corner solder bead and where two pieces of glass in the panel all meet.  Overall not a big deal, but I need to check if any light shines through.  The second was was adding a finish solder bead to the joint with the widest gap.  Even with a wire reinforcement on the inside, the solder still melted through very easily and dripped out, or cooled too rapidly (I think?) and I ended up with a weird texture on the surface of the solder, instead of it looking smooth and shiny.  If anyone has any tips for avoiding this issue (other than to just get better at sizing panels to fit together with less crazy gaps, clearly…), please post them below!  I ended up using an old orange box as a make-shift prop to keep the edges level and the solder bead sitting in the centre of the corner.

Using an orange box as a prop

Overall, I think the solder worked out ok.  I am still going to add a piece of wire along the bottom edge, and I’ll try another attempt at touching up the bad texture solder joint.  I don’t think this is my finest solder work, but I think I’m having some issues with my soldering iron set-up, so I’ll play around with that as well.  However, the point of finishing my older project before taking on anything new is kind of two-fold for me: to get projects that I started three years ago finished and out of the way, and to serve as a set of practice projects before I start attempting to make items of saleable quality.  So I can just chalk this one up to practice, at the very least.  At the most/best, I will have a new light box that I can take to work, use at home or gift to someone, and that’s not too shabby!

Finished soldered edges and corner

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: